'GRETA' THAMES SAILING BARGE - 1892
We are offering trips of up to 6 hours on the historic (1892) Thames Sailing Barge 'GRETA'.
Trips operate from the South Quay of Whitstable Harbour in Kent which is approx. 7 miles from historic Canterbury. Depending on the weather in the Thames Estuary we will either head to the Maunsell Red Sands Army Forts in the Thames Estuary or travel up the Swale and hope to catch a glimpse of the Seals. The Swale is a tidal channel of the Thames that separates the Isle of Sheppey from the rest of Kent.
Skipper Steve Norris will decide which route on the day of the trip. Part or all of the trip may be under the power of a diesel engine but we hope to raise the sails when the winds permit. Bring food and non alcoholic drinks with you. We may lower the anchor so you can relax in peace and quiet for a while. We suggest bringing a book and maybe a light coat. Don't forget your hat and sun cream on sunny days!
Safety Notes for all Passengers
Passengers board and disembark at their own risk via a near vertical ladder attached to the Harbour wall. Passengers must ensure that they wear suitable clothing and flat footwear. A safety briefing is given on board prior to sailing.
Maximum of up to 12 passengers on each trip
Steve Norris - Greta Owner/Skipper
COVID 19 – Safety information
· Face masks and gloves are not essential - but if you prefer to wear them please bring them along.
· Hand Sanitiser will be provided to be used before going down the ladder & to be used as you come aboard and leaving.
· If not from the same household, please always keep 2 metres apart – families can sit together.
· Bring your own refreshments in a small backpack or closed bag – No alcohol please.
· Additional clothing like raincoats or jumpers also need to be brought along in a closed bag as we are unable to provide.
· Bathroom Hygiene
o Only 1 person at a time to access to the bathroom which is below decks and no access to Private quarters.
o Hand Sanitiser will be provided for use before and after using the bathroom.
o Please use the supplied paper hand towels and dispose of in the pedal bin provided and use the foot pedal to open the bin
· Please always follow instructions from the Skipper and Crew – precautions are in place for everyone’s safety and may be subject to change.